Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Glycemic Index vs. Glycemic Load


What is the G.I. of a food? The glycemic index (G.I.) measures how much your blood sugar or glucose level increases after eating a certain food.  Each food has it’s own G.I. The faster a carbohydrate breaks down and releases glucose, the higher the G.I. will be of that particular food.

The glycemic load (G.L.) is measured using the G.I. of a food while considering the amount of carbohydrate per serving of food. So a food that has a low G.L. usually has a low G.I. but a food with a medium to high G.L. can have a very low to a very high glycemic index.
To maintain stable blood sugar levels it is important to focus on foods that have an low overall G.L. It is also important to keep your G.L. well below 500 for the day for optimal health.

Here is a list of foods with the G.L. values. http://www.lowglycemicload.com/glycemic_table.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment

infolinks